Edelman is a privately owned, independent firm. Our integrated network, comprising 65 cities in 31 countries, combines local and regional knowledge with specialists experienced in specific practices and disciplines around the globe. Founded October 1, 1952, Edelman celebrated its 60th anniversary in 2012, overlapping with our fiscal year 2013. Today, we are proud to be the world’s leading PR firm. Our citizenship practices stem both from our longstanding core values and our recognition that we have the ability and the size to effect positive change in society while also growing our business responsibly.
Edelman Global Citizenship
Citizenship issues are interconnected and organizations are in different places on the citizenship journey. At Edelman, we established a global citizenship advisory council and local citizenship network consisting of local office team members appointed by local managing directors to guide our citizenship strategy. We view commercial success and serving the greater good as inseparable and interdependent concepts, referring to this as “dual impact,” meaning that both business and society benefit from corporate responsibility.
Our Global Citizenship team identifies the ways in which we can achieve dual impact by incorporating citizenship into our operations more fully. This group:
- Develops global citizenship programs and resources for use by our local offices
- Monitors our performance and progress on achieving citizenship goals
- Contributes time and leadership to various global citizenship-focused coalitions
- Prepares our annual integrated citizenship report
Increasingly, clients seek our counsel to help them create dual impact. They are aware, as we are, that today’s stakeholders expect companies to practice good governance, support the communities in which they live and work and minimize their environmental impacts. Our global Business + Social Purpose Practice helps brands, corporations and non-governmental organizations unleash the power of business plus purpose for commercial success and social impact.
Our Global Citizenship department and Business + Social Purpose practice reflect our thought leadership in citizenship both internally and externally, and the two groups collaborate on certain initiatives, such as this report. At the same time, we want to make sure that citizenship at Edelman never becomes segregated from our business. Our goal is to integrate our best thinking and practices on citizenship into everything we do, whether for our own operations or our work for clients. As we progress on our citizenship journey, we will move toward a holistic approach that takes advantage of both our internal and external expertise.
Why Citizenship Matters to Edelman
Through our values and our approach to business, citizenship has been an integral part of our history as a firm. Now and in the future, we will continue to embrace and evolve Edelman’s global citizenship to:
- Create impact inside and outside our company and the industry.
- Answer the call of our stakeholders to accurately record and measure successes.
- Innovate in this field to demonstrate our leadership and authentic actions to employees, our supply chain, clients and prospective clients and other stakeholders.
- Empower and engage our employees to give back to the communities in which we operate.
- Ultimately, live the vision and values that Dan Edelman established for us as a firm.
“For me, citizenship means brotherhood, a ‘common place’ that must be carefully protected for the good of all. At work and in my life, I´m trying to open my eyes and look more closely. Any time, anywhere, there is an opportunity to do something to improve citizenship.”
– María Laura Casanova, account executive, Technology practice
The 2013 Global Employee Citizenship Survey is one way we listen to our people. The survey included 28 questions about the value of citizenship to Edelman and to our employees. Approximately one-third of employees responded. Findings included:
- 76 percent are interested in service-related volunteerism
- 73 percent say Edelman’s citizenship program was an important factor in joining Edelman
- 69 percent agree that Edelman has created a culture where global citizenship is valued within the company
- 67 percent say they volunteer in the community
- 59 percent agree that Edelman has created a culture that is sensitive to its environmental impacts
- 40 percent say Edelman needs to further improve environmental performance
- 38 percent say that Edelman’s emphasis on environmental sustainability is not enough
Does your office have at least one local citizenship liaison who works with the Edelman Global Citizenship team?
- Founder: Daniel J. Edelman
- President and CEO: Richard Edelman
- Ownership: Edelman is a privately held, independent company
- Global Operations: Headquartered in Chicago and New York, Edelman operates out of 65 cities in 31 countries
In fiscal year 2013, Edelman generated approximately U.S. $706,854,000 (pre-audited figures) in global revenues. This represents an 11 percent increase over 2012.
PRACTICE AREAS/SPECIALTY FIRMS
EDELMAN AWARDS 2012 – 2013
Overall Excellence and Leadership
- Ad Week‘s 2012 PR Agency of the Year
- No. 8 on the Ad Age Agency A-List
- No. 1 on Crain’s List
- Large Agency of the Year in North America and Overall North American Agency of the Year
- Los Angeles Business Journal No. 1 Public Relations Firm in LA
- Holmes Report Asia Pacific Consultancy of the Year
- Holmes Report India Consultancy of the Year
- Publicity Club of Chicago Golden Trumpet Awards (eight awards)
- #1 on PRWeek Power List, Richard Edelman
Excellence in Citizenship
- BusinessGreen Green PR Company of the Year
- PR News CSR Awards Agency CSR A-List
- Silver SABRE for PR Agency Citizenship
- Glassdoor – 2013 Best Places to Work
- No. 30 on Ad Age 2012 Best Places to Work List
- 50 Most Engaged Workplaces in Canada 2011/2012
- Best Workplaces in Canada, 2012/2013
- Best Workplaces for Women in Canada 2012/2013
- Best Employer by 17PR.com (China) 2013
- Top Employer Award by 17PR.com (China) 2012
- Holmes Report – Best Pan-European Consultancy to Work For
- Human Resources Executive Best HR Ideas of 2012 in Talent Management
- Gold Sponsorship Award from Tri-State Diversity Council for New York Women in Leadership Symposium
- WhatWorks® Award for Global Talent Management Organization
National and Regional Excellence
- PRWeek UK Top 50 Digital Consultancies
- PRWeek UK Top 40 Technology Consultancies
- The Globe and Mail Top 10 most revolutionary offices
- Haymarket PR Agency of the Year – Edelman Germany
- Holmes Report – Middle East Consultancy of the Year
- Campaign Asia Pacific – PR Agency of the Year in Greater China and South Asia
- Top 25 PR Agencies by China International Public Relations Associations 2013
- The Best Service Team by 17PR.com (China) 2012
- IABC/Toronto Large Agency of the Year
- Merca 2.0 Top Five PR Firms – Edelman Mexico
CEO Richard Edelman Named to Top of PRWeek 2013 Power List
PRWeek named Richard Edelman to the top of its 2013 Power List. The annual list ranks the industry’s 50 most powerful and influential executives from agencies, brands and politics, who are propelling PR to unprecedented heights. This is the third time Richard has topped the list since its debut in 2007, and his seventh inclusion overall.
In its report, PRWeek said: “If you had to pick one name that epitomized the modern PR industry, that name would probably be Edelman. Daniel, the founding father of his eponymous agency back in 1952, sadly passed away in January this year soon after the company’s 60th anniversary celebrations. But son Richard has more than taken the baton in becoming the best-known PR person in the world since he took the reins of the agency in 1997. It is worth remembering that, since 1997, Edelman the agency has grown more than threefold. Much of this should be attributed to the strategy, drive and leadership of Richard, who stepped into some very large shoes, but built Edelman into something bigger and better than anything before.”
FounderDan Edelman Honored with PRSA Foundation Paladin Award
The Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) Foundation posthumously honored our founder Dan Edelman with the Paladin Award. The award recognizes public relations “champions” who inspire others in the profession.
Our founder was an active member of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), helping to shape its direction during PRSA’s earliest days. We continue this tradition by participating in a host of international and national organizations dedicated to PR, communications and related fields. We offer our time and talents to committees and boards, and encourage our employees to become involved for their own professional development and to contribute to the continued advancement of our industry. While this list is by no means comprehensive because we do not centrally track the memberships held by Edelman offices around the world, a few of our representative memberships include:
- Public Relations Society of America (U.S.)
- Council of Public Relations Firms (U.S.)
- Ad Council (U.S.)
- Arthur Page Society (U.S.)
- Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (U.S.)
- Canadian Public Relations Society (Canada)
- Chartered Institute of Public Relations (U.K.)
- International Public Relations Association (Global)
- United Nations Global Compact (Global)
- IABC, International Association of Business Communicators (Global)
- ABERJE, Associação Brasileira de Comunicação Empresarial (Brazil)
Our values form the foundation of our business and our global citizenship. They are strong and unyielding because they are lived and expressed every day by our global network of employees. A reminder of our history and a beacon for our future, we share these values across the Edelman enterprise, in our lives and in our work.
Quality: Excellence in products, services and people that drives long-term growth and employee satisfaction.
Integrity: Responsible, trustworthy partners respected by all stakeholders.
Respect: Positive relationships with our colleagues, clients and the communities in which we do business.
Entrepreneurial Spirit: Superior staff with the drive to take charge and make a difference for our clients.
Mutual Benefits: Financial success that rewards our firm, our employees and our clients.
Citizenship: Acting with purpose in everything we do to better society.