With the holidays around the corner, it’s important to remember that even the smallest actions can make a big difference. This idea has been a guiding principle for Edelman’s tradition of giving back to its communities and is the driving force behind #GivingTuesday, a day dedicated to giving and celebrating generosity.
On Tuesday, December 2, charities, businesses, community organizations, students and individuals from around the world came together to celebrate the third annual #GivingTuesday by giving back to the organizations and communities that matter most to them. Edelman was proud to join the celebration with participation from 12 of our global offices.
Below are some of the ways we gave back:
- Supporting #GivingTuesday in our Bangalore, Delhi/NCR and Mumbai offices, employees collected donations of rice, milk and food for the more than 1,000 animals living in the Friendicoes SECA animal shelter. Additionally, the office collected books, toys, winter clothes and shoes for children ages 9-15 who are living in the Asha Niwas shelter home in DLF Phase II-Gugaon.
- Edelman Chicago employees had the opportunity to “Adopt a Child” from the Better Boys Foundation (BBF) and provide them with holiday essentials and items from their wish lists. The office also held a winter clothing drive for The Night Ministry, a Chicago-based organization that support members of the community who are struggling with poverty or homelessness.
- Edelman Mexico City’s #GivingTuesday book drive led to the donation of 186 books to Proeducación, an organization that supports basic levels of education by providing materials, tools, assistance and guidance to public and private schools in the community. The Digital team also donated their time and professional skills to liaise with local social media influencers to push the #undiaparadar hashtag.
- Edelman Milan partnered with four local organizations for projects, including providing pro bono support for Make a Wish Italy’s 10-year anniversary in Italy, preparing boxes of medical supplies to be sent to Haiti and volunteering at a concert held by Children in Crisis Italy and the Cystic Fibrosis Research Foundation Onlus.
- Edelman New York held walking tours to local toy stores where employees purchased gifts that served as their “entrance” to the office holiday party. The 422 donated toys were then gathered and delivered to New York’s Coalition for Homelessness and for its annual holiday toy drive in addition to a matching contribution from a local toy store and $2,000 monetary donation from the office.
- Edelman Washington, D.C. joined the United Nations Foundation’s (UNF) #GivingTuesday Communications Corps to provide professional giving in the form of media relations support to the UNF in the months leading up to #GivingTuesday. The Edelman team secured #GivingTuesday placements on POLITICO, Huddle, Roll Call, Detroit News, NPR Morning Edition and Around the Nation. Support for the cause continued on the big day with 45 individual employee donations. With a matching donation from the leadership team, the Washington D.C. office donated more than $9,000 to 35 different causes and organizations.
With 65 offices around the world, we have an opportunity to make a difference and create positive impact on the communities where we live and work. From our philanthropic giving throughout the year to our involvement with #GivingTuesday to our Community Investment Grant program, we are proud of our tradition of giving back.
— Edelman Italia (@EdelmanItalia) December 2, 2014
— Edelman Southwest (@EdelmanSW) December 2, 2014
John Edelman is managing director, global engagement and corporate responsibility.