NEW YORK, NY, July 25, 2022 – Edelman today announced the global launch of Edelman Smithfield, a financial communications boutique that specializes in the financial markets and strategic situations, serving clients in the United States, EMEA, Asia and beyond. The global launch brings together under one brand Edelman’s Financial Communications and Financial Services teams, combining specialized industry knowledge with global scale and localized expertise, while remaining connected to and integrated with Edelman’s full capabilities. Lex Suvanto will serve as Edelman Smithfield Global CEO.
Edelman Smithfield is focused on advising senior leaders and management teams navigating complex matters that impact reputation and valuation. The firm has deep expertise serving and communicating to the financial markets and is comprised of two primary practice areas:
- Partnering with companies in the financial markets to help them protect, promote and evolve their reputation. Edelman Smithfield is a leading communications advisor in the financial markets, working with investment firms, private equity and venture capital funds, hedge funds, banks, insurers, fintech, crypto and other financial markets participants to develop and execute tailored communications programs that build trust and strengthen reputations in the marketplace.
- Partnering with companies navigating and communicating with the financial markets and during strategic situations. Edelman Smithfield advises boards of directors, management teams and communications professionals on high impact strategic situations, such as mergers, acquisitions, IPOs, bankruptcies and restructurings, shareholder activism, litigation, management changes and regulatory matters, as well as ongoing engagement with the investment community, including investor relations and critical ESG matters.
Richard Edelman, CEO of Edelman, said, “The financial communications team has built an incredible platform and has advised on some of the highest profile clients and situations over the past several years. We continue to see significant demand from both existing and new clients for the work that they are leading, especially given the volatility and complexity of the global financial markets. There’s tremendous opportunity ahead, and we will continue to invest in Edelman Smithfield to ensure the team is well placed to define the next generation of financial communications.”
Edelman Smithfield is already a leading player in the financial communications industry. The firm’s asset management clients professionally manage more than $20 trillion combined, which, when coupled with insights from the annual Investor Trust survey, translates into a unique understanding of the global institutional investor landscape; Edelman Smithfield has advised on hundreds of transactions in the last five years, including some of the most prominent mergers and acquisitions, IPOs and restructurings.
Lex Suvanto, Global CEO of Edelman Smithfield, said, “We have a singular goal of building a financial communications powerhouse globally, and Edelman is providing the investment and runway to make this a reality. We are the only firm that specializes in the financial markets and strategic situations while bringing the reach and resources of broader Edelman. Together as a global team and with a unified banner and strategy, we will unlock new opportunities, while always prioritizing excellent client work, conducting ourselves with integrity and attracting and empowering an incredible team of dedicated advisors.”
Edelman Smithfield brings a strong leadership team with an impeccable track record of helping clients navigate the complex and dynamic financial markets. Global and regional leadership appointments include:
- Lex Suvanto, Global CEO
- John Kiely, Chairman of EMEA
- Andrew Wilde, Global Head of Financial Services
- Josh Hochberg, Global Chief Operating Officer
- Katie Spring, President, United States
- Alex Simmons, Head of EMEA
- Jason Leow, Head of APAC
Edelman Smithfield also includes leaders and teams in a total of 25 cities and 15 countries around the world.
In 2015, Edelman acquired Smithfield, a UK-based financial communications firm, as part of its ongoing investment and growth in financial communications. Since that time, the Edelman Smithfield brand has been rolled out in Germany, the Middle East and Canada. Edelman plans to commit significant resources to the continued expansion of the Edelman Smithfield platform in key markets around the world.