With the environmental impacts of our high-consumption lifestyle making headlines daily and an increased interest in sustainability, bottled beverages are facing unprecedented challenges in public opinion and purchasing choices.
Since June 2019, every bottle in Deep RiverRock’s portfolio has been made from 100% recycled plastic – so instead of creating more plastic to carry its water, the brand uses what’s already there. Despite being the first major water brand in Ireland to make this seismic shift, consumers didn’t know about it. With every brand competing for the sustainability space, how could Deep RiverRock make consumers aware of this key move?
The Deep RiverRock logo has remained unchanged for 25 years. If the bottles could be fully recycled for the environmentally conscious audience, couldn’t the logo be too? We persuaded Deep RiverRock to recycle their logo, swapping their name out completely for the words ‘100% Recycled Bottle’. By changing – or “recycling” – the long-standing logo, we illustrated the bravery, simplicity and scale of Deep RiverRock’s sustainability approach. The message is clear – this is a brand that will not only talk about sustainability but will act to make a change through its products and practices.
Our eight-week campaign deployed a mix of TV and outdoor advertising, instore, media takeovers, an earned launch, influencer partnerships and social media to bring to life the impact consumers make every time they choose the 100% Recycled Bottle.
The adapted logo is now a permanent feature of the Deep RiverRock bottle and brand.
- 22 percent increase in overall sales;
- 20 million earned reach (80 percent above target)
- 829K influencer reach (23 percent above target)
- Deep RiverRock is perceived as the most sustainably active water brand, 28 points ahead of the closest competitor
- Perception of Deep RiverRock as a brand that takes active measures to reduce its environmental impact: up by 44% (compared to pre-campaign period)
- 66% of people understand Deep RiverRock’s key differentiator regarding positive environmental action
- More recycled bottles in the world and less waste