Esports is the fastest growing sport on the planet. Huge audiences gather for massive esports tournaments around the world. OMEN by HP (HP’s PC gaming brand) is a relative newcomer. They want to be the No.1 PC gaming brand in esports by 2020. ‘The OMEN Challenge’ has been a part of HP’s brand experience and activation program for three years, using the traditional eSports tournament format.
We wanted to enable OMEN by HP to make a real statement and impact at Gamescom, but in a sustainable way, which would build long-term credibility with gamers. To achieve this, it was key to avoid gimmicks and create something that that would be authentic to the brand and have the depth to create true and lasting impact.
To do this, we developed a tournament format which would fundamentally change the way gamers played. Providing a revolutionary format, would create massive buzz at Gamescom, allowing OMEN by HP to stand out from competitors in a unique way, build credibility with the target audience and provide a world-class experience for players and crowds. Strategically, we then leveraged HP’s streaming partner, Twitch, and their network of influencers and pro-gamers to help us achieve our brand awareness and engagement metrics.
- Livestream Results: 3.2 million live views (300% increase on the 2017 OMEN Challenge). Over 15 million minutes watched (350% increase on 2017). 3 million unique views (260% increase on 2017). 40,000 concurrent views at peak (150% increase on 2017).
- Social Results: 3.2 million post engagements (215% increase on 2017). 56 million hashtag impressions, 40,000 click throughs to the OMEN by HP website.
- Influencer Results: 4.2 million impressions from social content. 150k social engagements and 400k Twitch views.
- Media Results: 70+ media from 13 markets over 170 articles across EMEA. 4.6m total coverage.
- Quotes: “The format is phenomenal, it is so creative, it’s one of the best tournaments I’ve ever done.’ – Cyanide, OMEN Challenge Player and UK Influencer.